Monday, June 3, 2013

Diversity

Diversity is a good thing. I have noticed in my own life that my wife sees situations differently than I do and therefore I can have a fuller understanding of what is happening. Also, during a portion of my career, I worked closely with a lady that saw most situations entirely differently than I. Also, she was much better at certain tasks than I was. Hopefully, with the two of us working together we were able to better job than either of us singularly.

However, I believe that diversity breaks down in education. Imagine you are teaching a bible class to some Christian friends. Everything goes smoothly, everybody is on the same page, and everybody nods in agreement. Now imagine you are teaching a diverse class. Now not everybody nods in agreement. You have to stop and explain everything and you are not sure your explanations are accepted. What is the result? Instead of the students learning, you learn. You learn more about what you know and what you don't know. And yet you don't feel good about the situation for the goal was for the students to learn.

God believes in diversity. God gives different gifts to different people for different uses. In the church, hopefully, that diversity can be molded together to make the church better and do the work of God better.

Where do you fit in? Do you know your strengths and weaknesses? Are you using those strengths to further the kingdom of God?


No comments:

Post a Comment