Monday, June 3, 2013

Playing Church

I know someone who is “playing at church.” I am not talking about kids who sit not so quietly playing with a toy during the service. I am talking about adults who go through all the right motions, say all the right things but there is no substance in there relationship to God. They are toying with God but He won't toy with them. For you see, God is a jealous God and He wants your all.

Why do you attend church? Some people attend to see and been seen for them it is a social club. Some people attend to network with certain people because they need help with a pet project. Some people attend only during the political campaign time to get name recognition. Some attend to increase the contacts of their business. Some attend because it is too cold to go fishing or play golf, or hunting season is over. Some people have pretty selfish reasons to play at church.

Well there must be some good reasons for attending church. Do you go to church to meet God? That is what started me going to church. Things were happening in my life that I didn't understand. Was there some force or power controlling the things that were happening to me and around me? My search for the answer to that question led me to God. I found that the creator of the universe just didn't “wind it up” like a watch and let it go but was and is actively working in the world to accomplish his purposes.

So, now that I've met God, why do I still go to church? The answer is simple. To know God better and to help others know God better.

Why do I write this blog? To get you, my reader, to be challenged to know God better.


Are you just playing church?

No comments:

Post a Comment